Saturday, August 28, 2010

Doing Well

I went to spend part of the week with Mom and Lee after she got home Monday. Mom and Lee are doing well. There is definitely a lot to remember after coming home from a lung transplant.

Oh my gosh, is there a lot of medicine! Mom's pill box for the week is about the size of a sheet of paper. It took them 2 1/2 hours to get it all set up for the first week and after seeing all that medicine, I can DEFINITELY see why! Mom takes medicine every day at 8 am, 10 am, 12 pm, 5 pm and 10 pm plus she will continue having IVIG once a week with an in-home nurse. I'm sure it will all become routine after a while, but for now it will take some serious adjusting. I think by the time I left Thursday I had finally gotten Mom's blackberry to ring at the right times every day.

This week was not the 'typical week' as Mom had quite a few appointments, which I'm sure will taper over time. I got to go with her to her swallow test Thursday and that was SO cool (but also pretty disgusting, too)! They put a camera up her nose and watch her drink and eat various things that are dyed green. She liked the Little Debbie Oatmeal cookie, but is SO not a fan of YooHoo. The Speech Language Pathologist thought it all looked good, but last I heard Mom was waiting on final sign off from her doctor to start drinking thin liquids and regular food. I took a lot of pictures, but did not have a chance to upload them before leaving for my business trip today. If Mom says it's okay (they're gross) I will post them next week :).

Well, I am on the plane to San Diego (got to love in-flight Internet...or hate it if you are working on the plane like I am except this quick break for this post :) ) for a work conference until Wednesday. On Wednesday, two of mom's friends from CA, Linda and Polly, are coming to visit and I know they are really looking forward to that. Probably because they are pretty sure they won't be as drill searganty as me! I am hoping to go see them all Friday evening after work, too.

It's CRAZY to me that by the time I see Mom next she will be four weeks post-transplant. We have all been so blessed by how smooth this has gone and how great Mom is doing.

Till next time - love to you all!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amy for the update. Polly and I are really looking forward to seeing your mom! Who knows, we might be kind of bossy. I have been known to wag my finger at her! Have a safe trip and hopefully we will see you Friday.